*This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn commissions.*
Our GunVault GVB1000 Review covers one of the several small biometric handgun safes manufactured by the GunVault Gun Safe Company. This particular model of safe has sufficient room to be able to store a handgun or two plus magazines and some spare ammo.
The image and picture below takes you to the new updated biometric version of the GVB1000 called the GV1000c-std as the former model has been out of stock for some time.
Fingerprint Reader with Low FRR
The biometric fingerprint reader used on the safe is capable of storing up to 15 registered user fingerprints. In practice the fingerprint reader works well with few read fails reported.
The fingerprint reader on this particular fingerprint gun safe has an extremely low False Reject Rate (FRR) for a given False Accept Rate (FAR). This is due to the advanced fingerprint recognition algorithm used and also because the reader continually updates itself to minute changes in the registered users fingerprints each time that the safe is opened.
The safe walls are made from rugged 16-gauge steel forming a tough protective shell. This tough exterior is also pry resistant due to the close fitting of the door. The safe is lined on the inside with a soft, protective foam to prevent your guns and valuables being damaged by the hard safe walls.
The GVB1000 comes fitted with a tough spring-loaded tamper-proof door that opens easily once a registered user’s fingerprint is used to open the safe. The lock fitted to the safe is of an advanced high-strength type suitable for this type of safe.
An interior light is also provided that serves to illuminate the interior for 5 seconds each time that the safe is opened to assist with viewing of the interior contents, especially in the dark.
GunVault GVB1000 Feature List
- Housing constructed from heavy 16-gauge steel
- Fitted with a reliable high-strength security lock
- Door is spring-loaded for fast access and is also pry-resistant
- Uses No-Eyes Keypad with fingerprint reader incorporated
- Protective foam lines the safe inside to protect guns and valuables
- Mounting template provided together with mounting screws
- Interior light for better viewing at night
- Knock-outs are provided for use with the optional security cable
- A power connection jack is supplied for use with external AC or DC power supply
- Safe warns when battery is low with blinking red low battery light
- The battery should last about 1 year under normal operating conditions
GunVault GVB1000 Technical Specifications
- Safe body is 2mm Steel finished in black
- Outside Dimensions are 5.25″ x 8.25″ x 12″ (H x W x D)
- Inside Dimensions are 3″ x 7″ x 11″ (H x W x D)
- Weight: 9 Pounds
- Locking System: High Strength
- Registered Fingerprints Stored: 15
- Tamper Indicator: Yes
- Interior Light: Yes
- Battery Type: 9 Volt
- Battery Life: 1 Year in normal use
- External AC Power Supply
- Emergency Access Keys: 2
- Warranty: One Year Limited Warranty
- CA DOJ Approved
- Fireproof: No
- Waterproof: No
Advantages of Using the GVB1000 Safe
Firearms can be easily accessed in an emergency without a key – even at night. The GVB1000 provides a safe place to store pistols and valuables safely away from children, teenagers and casual intruders.
This particular safe is not fireproof or waterproof
What Comes with the Safe?
1. 2 x Emergency Back-Up Keys
2. Owner’s Manual
3. Mounting Template and Safe Mounting Screws
4. Power connector jack for external power supply AC or DC
5. AC power adapter is provided
6. 1 year Limited Warranty Card
Note: The 9V Battery required to operate the safe is NOT supplied.
Optional Extras: A Steel Security Cable can be sourced from the manufacturer.
Tips for Using
- When the safe arrives the first thing you should do is check that the emergency backup keys are the correct ones for the safe by comparing the key number on the keys to the number on the lock cylinder. If the numbers don’t match then contact the manufacturer straight away
- Find a suitable place for storing the emergency keys well away from the safe
- Always wipe the fingerprint reader with a soft cloth before registering fingerprints and after opening the safe
- To get better accuracy it is a good idea to register the same fingerprint several different times
- Do not leave the safe unattended when open as another person could register their fingerprint and gain access to your handguns and valuables
- Make sure that you send off the warranty card as directed as soon as you can so that you are registered as the owner with the manufacturer in case of any problems later on
- Fingerprints were easily programmed
- Takes no more than a few minutes to set up
- The biometric scanner works really well
- It has opened every time
- A gun safe that provides the fastest possible access
- Solid Construction
Did the Users have any problems??
- A few users reported problems with the reader itself
- Some users reported problems with stuck latch
The GunVault MiniVault GVB1000 is one of the better biometric gun safes on the market at the current time. It is a small biometric safe that is suitable for storing 2 handguns maximum. The safe has received rather mixed reviews with many users saying how good the fingerprint reader is, with others being rather less impressed.
Unfortunately, many of these problems could be resolved by registering each fingerprint several times and ensuring that the reader glass is always clean. This has been shown to dramatically improve the accuracy of the fingerprint reading technology used.
Another comment that we saw a few times, but have not experienced ourselves, is that the door lock could get stuck. Hopefully the manufacturer has attended to this problem as this seems to be reported mainly on reviews round 2010 and 2011 and not much these days.
The GVB1000 is a good buy if you’re looking for a biometric handgun safe but take note of the correct way to use the fingerprint reader and you will minimize any chance of experiencing a problem.