This Barska AX11556 Biometric Safe Review covers the top-opening fingerprint handgun safe from Barska that is designed to be stored in a desk drawer or inside a dresser drawer.
This safe could also be fitted in the floor if required using the mounting kit provided.
The safe is very well-engineered and is another of the Barska Biometric Safes that use their dependable biometric fingerprint readers.
This model also comes fitted with a dual hydraulic pressurized hinge that opens smoothly giving fast access to your firearms or any valuables that you have stored inside.
The Fingerprint Reader
The fingerprint reader can store up to 30 different fingerprints to restrict user access to the contents. It’s ideal for storing handguns and pistols and other small firearms and weapons to keep them stored safely away from children or teenagers. With just one touch of your finger you can have instant access to your weapons or valuables within 3 seconds without the need to fiddle with keys or combination locks. In the dark this is the very best way to access your firearm without alerting an intruder.
The safe uses 4 AA batteries to power the fingerprint reader and in normal use these have been found to last around 2 years. However, if the batteries die you can still get access to the safe contents by using the set of back-up keys that are provided at the time of purchase with each safe. It is just a simple matter of using an Allen wrench to remove the plate with the Barska decal to access the keyhole.
Barska AX11556 Biometric Safe Features
- Top-Opening Biometric Safe designed to be fitted in a drawer or concealed in the floor
- The safe door is secured by 2 steel locking bolts
- 30 different fingerprints can be stored inside the fingerprint reader
- The safe emits a beep when door is opened
- Safe can also be operated in stealth mode by turning off beeps
- Comes pre-drilled with 3 mounting holes and mounting hardware
- Supplied complete with cushioned floor mat to protect your valuables
- A set of emergency back-up keys are also supplied in case you have difficulties opening the safe at any time when using the reader
- Requires 4 AA batteries to operate – these are supplied with the safe
- Barska supply the safe complete with a one year warranty for your peace of mind
- The safe body is made of steel that is finished in a sleek matte black color
- Door is 3/16” thick
- Safe Body Thickness is 1/16”
- Outside Dimensions are 14.75″ x 11.25″ x 5″ (LxWxH)
- Inside Dimensions are 14.5″ x 11″ x 2.5″
- Weighs 21 pounds
- Type of Locking System Used: Deadbolt Lock – Motorized
- Fireproof : No
- Waterproof: No
Benefits of Using the Barska AX11556 Safe
- Can access your valuables and firearms quickly without the need for a key – even in the dark!
- Can be opened silently
- The robust secure design of the safe keeps handguns and valuables away from children and opportunist thieves but permits you instant access without needing a key
- It’s not fireproof – a fireproof safe would probably cost a lot more
What’s in the Box?
- AX11556 Biometric Safe
- 2 x Emergency back-up keys
- Mounting hardware
- Cushioned floor mat to protect valuables and handguns
- Set of 4 AA batteries
- As soon as you get the safe home, check that the backup keys can be used to open the safe
- Mount the safe in its resting place before storing any valuables inside so it cannot be taken by thieves
- Be sure to clean the reader before registering your fingerprints for the first time
- Try registering the same fingerprint from different angles to improve accuracy of reader if you are having problems
- Also, make sure that you wipe the glass after you have used the reader to prevent any of your fingerprint residues from remaining on the glass
- Do not leave the safe unattended when it’s open because an unauthorized user could register their fingerprint and gain access to your handgun or valuables when you are not at home
- Finally, please ensure that the emergency back-up keys are stored safely away from the safe. Under no circumstances store them inside the safe!
What Purchasers Had To Say…
- Great product!
- Good customer service
- Sturdy construction
- Reader is very accurate – works every time
- Safe opens within 3 seconds
- Easy to set up and use
- Heavy duty construction
- It would fit 2 magnum 44 plus a couple cases of ammo
The Barska AX11556 is a great safe suitable for deterring a casual thief. It’s also a great place to lock your handguns away safely to keep them out of the way of your children. The fingerprint reader is very accurate and secure and works with a very high degree of accuracy under test from various users. The safe is sturdy enough for its design purpose.
One thing to be aware of is that the safe is not fireproof or waterproof, but if these features are required then the cost of the safe would be much higher.
This is a good biometric safe for the price offering features difficult to beat at this price point. If you are looking for a Biometric Drawer Safe to store your handguns in then the Barska AX11556 is a good choice and gets our recommendation.